Friday, March 20, 2020

Whats in a Name

I was recently asked to respond to what my Dharma name means to me.
Li Rui 莅銳
My
name which is translated as he who remains present ,with a keen mind. My sister in law who incidentally is from Tiawan, tells me it is a good name for a masculine child.
I know that Li Rui was a famous 19th century Chinese mathematician and astronomer who made notable contributions to the revival of traditional Chinese mathematics and astronomy and to the development of the theory of equations. Another Famous Li Rui was Mao's personal secretary during the Great Helmsman's most murderous period in power. Who Later called for Democracy in China as a way to modernize.

To me it is a reminder of the tradition and the opportunity and responsibility afforded me by Shi Yong Xaing , and by extension Reverend Soyu Matsuoka , Shi Mo Hua, and Venerable Shi Shen Long.
My Name is something I hold as close as my Robes, maybe more because I didn't earn it,
it was given; kinda of like a rank you grow into.
More like an entrance exam rather than a final

No comments: